August 31st – Daily Deal
On today’s Daily Deal, the Durrrr Challenge resumes, the Full Tilt Doubles Poker Championship continues airing on GSN, and the fifth Ultimate Bet Online Championship comes to a close. It’s all ahead… RIGHT NOW!
Hello, I’m Sean Gibson and welcome to the Daily Deal by Poker News Daily.
On Monday afternoon, the action in the Durrrr Challenge between Tom “durrrr” Dwan and Dan “JungleMan12” Cates continued on Full Tilt Poker. Once again, Cates dominated and this time vaulted out to a $692,000 lead over Dwan. A total of 6,820 hands have been played.
It’s hard to believe that Dwan and Cates are nearly fifteen percent of the way through the fifty thousand hands required for completion. With the first incarnation of the Durrrr Challenge being nineteen months old, the second has thankfully seemed to zip by. Mid-afternoon play on Monday was the first between Dwan and Cates since late last week, when Cates jumped out to a five-hundred eighteen thousand dollar lead.
When the action will resume is anyone’s guess. Dwan had expressed interest in finishing the second installment of the Durrrr Challenge prior to the World Series of Poker Europe schedule beginning in two weeks. Meanwhile, he has been dominating the first running against Patrik Antonius, but there has been no play between the two since August third.
On Saturday night, the second round of regular season matches kicked off on the Full Tilt Doubles Poker Championship, which airs on GSN. Each of the thirty-two players in the field bought in for fifty thousand dollars and had already played out one match. Howard Lederer and Phil Galfond took down the first match shown, while Huck Seed and Annette Obrestad fought their way to a title in the second match. Sixteen of the Doubles Poker Championship’s thirty-two players will move on to the post-season.
Finally, in the grand finale of the fifth Ultimate Bet Online Championship, or UBOC, on Sunday, Charlie “CHAZ_MAN_C” Combes came out on top of the pack following a four-way chop and banked one-hundred thirty-six thousand dollars. A total of one-thousand thirty-two players coughed up the UBOC 5 Championship Event’s four-figure buy-in, or won a satellite to get in with the top 99 players finishing in the money.
Combes hails from the United Kingdom and, on the final hand of the tournament, shoved all-in with Queen-Deuce. UB.com member “TOOCURIOUSSO” made the call for his tournament life with King-Nine and was in prime position to double up. The flop of Three-Jack-Six didn’t change matters, but a queen on the turn paired Combes and held up at the river to seal his UBOC Five title. In March, he won both the Full Tilt Poker One-K Monday for $93,000 and the Titan Poker Two-Hundred Fifty K Guaranteed for another $59,000.
Here were the results from the UBOC Five Championship Event.
1. CHAZ_MAN_C – $136,178
2. TOOCURIOUSSO – $95,000
3. VENUSIGNA – $152,000
4. WALLABAER – $145,000
5. APATHY123 – $56,244
6. WAMMERMOUTH – $45,924
7. MST_MORPHEUS – $35,604
8. 1GENERAL_TAO – $25,284
9. DONRIKY – $17,544
That does it for today’s Daily Deal and if you haven’t added us to your twitter feed, you can do so by going to twitter dot com slash poker news daily. I’m Sean Gibson, thanks for watching and best of luck at the tables tonight!
Related Poker News:
- The Year in Poker: August, 2006
- PokerStars Announces 2010 WCOOP Extreme Satellites
- New Tournament Director For The World Series Of Poker
- Intertops Poker Running FPP Race Leader Board Competition
- Mighty Jackpot Action Coming to Titan Poker in August
- This Week in Poker: August 23 - August 29
- Betfair Poker Pays Big
- Monday August 11, 2008 - 17:18 EST
- $1 Million Guaranteed Red Spade Open Returns On August 12
- Online Poker News Archive - August 2008
- Online Poker News Archive - August 2009
- Online Poker News Archive - August 2011
Useful poker terms:
- BURN - To discard the top card of the deck prior to dealing, usually done for every dealing round except the first. The theory being that if somehow the cards are marked (illegally) no one will know what card will next be dealt, only what card will be burned. This makes marked cards less of an advantage, hence tends to reduce cheating.
- RIDER BACK (TM) - A brand of playing cards that feature a bicycle rider on the back of the cards. Often used in home games. Compare: BEE No. 92.
- ALL-IN - To have all of one's chips in the pot. A player who is all-in cannot be forced out of the pot by more betting, but is only eligible to win that portion of the pot he has contributed to. Generally, a SIDE POT is created each time a player is all-in.
- LOWBALL - Generic term for poker where the lowest hand wins.
- PASSED OUT. - A hand in which nobody opens. What happens next is a function of the game being played.
- BAD GAME - Any game in which you figure to be the loser, because the other players are better than you.