Katja Thater Team PokerStars Pro
Born July 15, 1966, in Hamburg, Germany, Katja Thater didn’t start playing poker until she met her husband, poker professional John von Halle. While watching her husband play, she took over in a hand of Stud for him when he went to the bathroom and ended up winning it. She didn’t know how to play at the time, but poker has been her passion ever since. Initially a cash game specialist, Katja popped up on the live tournament circuit in 2006 and has been very successful.
At her first World Series of Poker in 2006, Katja cashed in two events; 29th in $1500 Seven Card Stud for $3.2K and 53rd in $2000 Pot-Limit Hold’em for $2.6K. In 2007, she made the final table at the European Poker Tour stop in Warsaw, finishing fifth for $85K. A few months later, she made her first WSOP final table, taking fifth in the $1K World Championship No Limit Hold’em Ladies Event for $49K. Her first WSOP bracelet came that same year in $1500 Seven Card Razz, which netted her $132.5K. Since then, she’s had a series of hard luck cashes, but all told, Katja Thater has in excess of $300K in live tournament earnings.
Away from the tables, Katja works as a commentator and presenter on German TV and teaches for IntelliPoker, an online poker school sponsored by PokerStars. She also co-wrote a poker with fellow German pros entitled Poker Matrix. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her family and riding her horses.
In the ever-expanding poker world, Katja has made strides for not only for women but for the country of Germany as well. She plans to continue traveling the world playing in tournaments, but when she’s at home, she can be found playing online at PokerStars as TeamPro member ‘KatjaThater’.
Related Poker News:
- The PokerNews Interview: Katja Thater
- WSOP Updates – Event #29, $1,500 Razz — Katja Thater Wins First WSOP Bracelet
- The PokerNews Profile: Katja Thater
- PokerStars.net EPT Warsaw, Day 1b: Roland de Wolfe Tops Star-packed Session
- EPT Barcelona Day 3 Recap – Jedlicka on top; 13 Left
- PokerStars Granted License in Estonia
- 2008 WSOP Event #26, $1,500 Razz, Day 1: Greenstein Surges to Top
- Newcomers to poker often place too much faith in bluffing
- May 27th – Daily Deal
- WSOP Updates – Event #17, Ladies $1,000 NLHE — WSOP Acadamy Grad Boyer Captures Title
- Barcelona Poker Event Starts Strong
- Katja Thater Wins EPT Mixed Games Title
- OPEN - Make the first bet in a hand, especially in draw poker.
- POSSIBLE [STRAIGHT/FLUSH] - Up cards that quite possibly could lead to a straight and/or a flush.
- GOOD GAME - A game with players worse than you so that you can expect to win a lot of money.
- RAIL - A barrier dividing the card playing area from a public area.
- BELLY BUSTER - An inside straight draw. Same as GUTSHOT.
- STEAM - Playing wildly, calling and raising a lot, because one is upset. Compare: ON TILT.