Celebrities Hang Tough at WSOP
Hollywood is a land of make believe, where the power players are those who excel in pretending to be something they are not, but when it comes to playing poker many of these actors and actresses are the real deal, including Spiderman star Tobey Maguire. The star of all three Spiderman movies, Toby first appeared at the WSOP in 2004 and played respectably. Now Maguire is one of the few celebrities left in the 2007 World Series of Poker’s main event, playing for an eight million dollar prize…
Related Poker News:
- Veterans in tough at poker’s top table
- WSOP Hard on Women Celebrities
- Celebrities Hit The Poker Tables In OKC For MDA
- Tough Poker Tourney Combines Poker and NASCAR
- Bodog.com Sponsors Celebrities at WSOP
- 2006 WSOP: Bodog Floats WSOP Celebs
- Hanging out in New Orleans
- Dr. Pauly at the 2008 WSOP: Celebrities at the World Series of Poker
- Celebrities Play Poker For Darfur
- Nicky Hilton Joins Poker Loving Celebrities
- Monday March 03, 2008 - 15:39 EST
- PokerNews Op-Ed: Are Celebrities Good for Poker?
Useful poker terms:
- ANTE - A small bet all players are required to make before a hand is dealt. Not all games have an ante. Related terms: BLIND, FORCED BET.
- FREEZE-OUT - A table-stakes game that continues until a small number of players (possibly only one) has all the money. The major event in The World Series of Poker is a freeze-out game.
- PROP - Also PROPOSITION PLAYER. An employee of the gaming establishment whose primary purpose is to keep enough players at a table to prevent breaking up the game for lack of players. Unlike SHILLs "props" make a small hourly wage but play with their own money, winning or losing based on their skill.
- DRAWING DEAD - A draw in which it is impossible to obtain a winning hand for any of a variety of reasons: an opponent's hand is better than whatever you are drawing to, the card(s) that make your hand are out of play, or (in Hold'em) give an opponent a stronger hand even if it makes yours. Frequently used in the past tense, since one rarely knows it at the time.
- IMPLIED ODDS - A refinement to POT ODDS which includes money not yet in the pot. Considers the potential extra bets and winnings made when a player forms a very good hand.
- DECLARE - In high/low games, declaring one's hand as high or low or both ways (usually done with chips in hand). Usually played in home games; casinos tend to play CARDS SPEAK.